Job Description – Director of Children’s Ministries
The Director of Children’s Ministries will work as part of the ministerial team to develop and carry out, with the congregation, both long-term programmatic goals and shot-term goals which further the ministry of the church.
Purpose Statement: to seek justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God.
Core Values: Progressive, Accepting, Inspirational, Nurturing, Justice-Seeking.
Educational & Program Ministry
The Director of Children’s Ministries will give leadership to the discipleship ministry of the church by building relationships with children and families, overseeing the development of an education program for birth through fifth grades, and providing opportunities for community building across all age groups. This includes:
- Hiring and supervising of paid childcare workers
- Having responsibility for the church Sunday School program for children ages 0-5th grade.
- Recruiting, nurturing, and training Sunday School leaders and teachers.
- Serving as staff liaison to the Children & Youth Ministry Committee, Church Council, and Mission Team.
- Overseeing the Children’s Education Budget
- Maintaining all pertinent administrative paperwork, such as attendance, medical release forms, and volunteer background checks.
- Implementing the church’s Safe Sanctuary policy.
- Selecting and ordering curriculum, supplies, and equipment.
- Communicating with the congregation through the church newsletter, social media and website, as well as other relevant channels of communication.
- Planning special events to help build relationships and fellowship with and among families across all age groups (ex, Trunk or Treat, Christmas program, family fun nights, and/or mission projects, etc).
- Advocating for Children’s Ministries across the life of the church through sharing leadership of worship services, and empowering children to participate as leaders in worship.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Director of Children’s Ministry will work as part of the ministerial team to address particular and immediate needs as they arise. The Director of Children’s Ministries relates to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) as the personnel committee of the church, and to the pastor as the immediate supervisor.
Supervision and Evaluation
- The Director of Children’s Ministries is supervised by the pastor.
- Evaluation will be completed annually by December 31 for the preceding year, January 1-December 31.
- Evaluators will be the pastor and one person appointed from SPRC as liaison.
- Evaluation will be oral and written.
- Written evaluation will be submitted to the SPRC.
- Employee will be on a six month probationary period upon being hired.